5 Top Tips for your Interview
1. COMPANY AND ROLE RESEARCH
- Think of 2 reasons why you're interested in the company and why you would like the role.
- Be prepared for questions like 'Why did you apply for this role?' 'What do you know about us?'
- How do the company work? Would you 'fit' into their team and how they work? ('Team fit')
2. HAVE APPROPRIATE QUESTIONS PREPARED
- Always ask questions at the end. i.e: How will you measure my success? How can I exceed your expectations? How is your feedback process structured? (Not pay related - Think outside the box!)
- The best candidates interview/evaluate the company too. This approach will raise your value.
3. HAVE A POSITIVE TONE / BODY LANGUAGE THROUGHOUT
- Positive image - first impressions / dress appropriately (Remember - do your company research!)
- Be ready to talk about past jobs in a positive light / discuss work history briefly / Be true to CV.
- Positive body language and eye contact. (Don't - cross arms/look at feet/lean on back of chair)
4. LEARN THE INTERVIEWERS NAME
- When you hear interviewers name, repeat it in your head 3x, use it in conversation in the first 5 minutes to help you remember it.
- Remembering and using names helps builds rapport as well as shows confidence and competency.
- Successful people in business always have this skill.
5. BE PUNCTUAL, POLITE AND MEMORABLE
- Show motivation - be punctual, be early, be organised (take copy of your CV, a cover letter and references).
- Be polite and smile - to everyone. Be memorable, everyone remembers a great entrance and presence.
- Always thank the interviewer for their time.