Compliance Team Leader (BW-1527)
Role: Compliance Team Leader
Package: £35,000 - £40,000 DoE + Benefits
This long established and well recognised Financial Services company have been providing financial advice to corporate and private clients for more than 70 years. The business has continued to grow throughout this time, largely through referrals and repeat business, in a lot of cases they have been looking after generations of family wealth. It is an exciting time for the business following a hugely successful year in 2020, despite all of the challenges.
Given this continued expansion, they are now introducing a new role for a Compliance Team Lead that would sit between the Compliance Director and the Compliance team. The role would be to supervise the current small team whilst also assisting the Compliance Director in carrying out his day-to-day compliance duties. This a varied and interesting opportunity for an experienced compliance professional to take the next step in their career.
Reporting to the Compliance & Risk Director, you will act as point of contact for escalated queries for the firm’s financial compliance function and continue to evolve the positive compliance culture within the firm. Moreover, you will ensure that all compliance requirements are conducted in accordance with external regulatory requirements and subsequent internal procedures, processes, and expectations, whilst ensuring the collaborative relationships are maintained. Finally, you will be tasked with proactively managing a small but well-established compliance team, who currently work with full autonomy.
- Act as a conduit between the operational areas (Compliance Team, Advisers and Admin Teams) and the Compliance & Risk Director ensuring only complex queries, that cannot be dealt with, are escalated.
- Maintain a healthy working relationship with all other areas of the business and work collaboratively with different stakeholders, such as Marketing.
- Undertake / assist Compliance team with day-to-day activities, such as File Reviews, Complaint handling, approval of financial promotions, etc.
- Assist the Compliance Director with the T&C activity for Advisers to meet the requirements of the T&C Scheme, ensuring a supportive approach to development.
- Assist the Compliance Director with the annual certification activities for Advisers, ensuring certificates are distributed appropriately and the Directory is accurately maintained.
- Challenge outcomes and outputs of established internal frameworks, where required, to ensure the firm is working efficiently, effectively, and compliantly. Where issues are identified, be confident to address them robustly but professionally to ensure the culture remains positive.
- Oversee the compliance team and look to develop individual areas of need, ensuring appropriate developmental interventions are used (coaching, support, attendance of seminars/webinars etc).
- Assist the Compliance & Risk Director to develop SMCR frameworks and procedures, ensuring Code of Conduct is embedded in the business, delivering regulatory training refresher training, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the development of internal regulatory frameworks, strategies, and processes, as required by the Compliance Director.
- Support the Compliance & Risk Director on new initiatives and ideas, as required, providing a critical eye to ensure regulatory impact is considered coupled with flexibility to adapt to a dynamic environment.
- Keep up to date with all regulatory developments undertaking appropriate activity such as, reading, attending seminars/webinars as agreed. Cascading to other areas as appropriate.
- Produce regular Compliance Reports to the Compliance Director and assist on the submission of regulatory returns.
- Represent the compliance function at third party events, as necessary.
Experience and Skills
- Evidenced technical competence and experience in all areas of regulation and products in a relevant FS sector, able to work on own initiative.
- Strong leader, with a diplomatic approach to supervising a team, understanding, and having confidence that, micro-management is not an effective management style.
- Demonstrable passion for Compliance and for developing a strong healthy compliance culture.
- Excellent communication skills to explain / interact / engage / influence with and between stakeholders.
- The ability to communicate issues and challenge effectively.
- Solid Microsoft knowledge and skills (e.g. Word, Excel).
- 7 years working in a Financial Services Compliance related role, 3 of which should have been managing a team.
- Level 4 Diploma
- ICA Compliance qualifications, such, as Advanced Certificate in Compliance or Diploma in Compliance.
- H15, J07, Supervising in a regulated environment qualification or equivalent.
- G60 or equivalent